Pages

Tuesday 23 November 2010

The Sound of Silence

As I waited, chilly and impatient for the long overdue bus to arrive this morning, I was indulging in one of my favourite  pursuits, admiring the delicate filigree 'veins' (sans leaves), of a lovely slender young birch-tree outlined against a cold dark Winter sky.  Reluctantly turning my attention to the offending vehicle I discovered that although there were several passengers on board, the sign above the driver's head bore the message - Sorry, this bus is not in service.

Assuming, since it had stopped and opened its doors, that all was well, I said "town please" took my ticket and sat down.

All the way into town I watched with amusement people's puzzled stares. quickly followed by realization that the sign was a mistake and waited for someone to say something.  Nothing, zilch, nada not one single word from anyone.

Arriving at my stop I said to the driver as I alighted " do you know your sign says this bus is not in service?"
He replied "I know love, get's 'em talking don't it"!

No comments:

Post a Comment