Pages

Saturday 3 November 2012

Kindness - Great Oaks from Little Acorns Grow

Something mentioned in a very recent post by Jean Rolt of "Tregear Vean" resonated strongly with me.

This incredibly brave lady who has been tragically bereaved in the last few days, talked of how greatly affected she was by the kindness of strangers.

For anyone who believes as I do in the innate goodness of almost all human beings, this is something of which we become aware on many occasions during life's most difficult times.

I was reminded again of this propensity for instant acts of kindness only this week.

Having been laid low by a cold/flu/throat type bug, I had taken to my bed and barely moved on Tuesday, until the phone rang mid morning.  "I saw your bedroom curtains were still closed and wondered what was wrong", said my young across the road neighbour.

She asked me what she could do for me and when I said I was OK, added she was going shopping to the local supermarket and could she get me anything.  I answered yes please, my throat is really sore can you get me some O.... pastilles please.  She said if  they had any she would post them through my door.

When several hours had passed I realised they obviously didn't stock them and thought no more about it, but, late in the afternoon a bag from a town pharmacy dropped through the letterbox with the throat tablets.

The next morning I got a phone call from her mother Sue who lives a few streets away, wanting to know if she could get me anything else, apparently having been asked by her daughter to buy the pastilles as she was going into town.

I barely know this woman but she had gone out of her way to get them and delivered them also without any hesitation  at her daughter's request.

By Friday ill or well, I had no choice but to go shopping, I was out of so many everyday items.  Shakily got the bus into town, did the biggest shop I could think of and used the stores freephone to call a taxi.

Five minutes they said.  In less than two he had pulled up, ordered me to get in opened up the boot, carried all the tons of shopping and returned my trolley to the rank.

ON arriving home he told me to go and open the door, carried the shopping in and dropped it in the hall and when I thanked  him profusely said "no problem".

Such small things in the scheme of things, yet such acts of real kindness, just when I needed them most.

I have already blogged many times on the overwhelming kindness of  my neighbours when John died and so often, at the very bleakest of times a small act of love from someone we may know only by sight, has such a heartwarming effect, it can colour a whole day, and change a grey landscape to a sunny one.

Thank God for warm hearts and kind people.

6 comments:

  1. A truly lovely post Ray. I am receiving so many small acts of kindness just now I am filled with the knowledge of Gods goodness afresh each morning. I'm very glad your young lady looked after you., Hope it all gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd echo that. Thank God indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a heartwarming and affirmative post, Ray. So glad you have such neighbours when you need them. I''m another who believes that (with some exceptions) people are basically good and decent. I do hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments and good wishes Jean, Greenpatches and Perpetua.
    As I write/type. my lovely neighbours are enjoying one of the famous street parties in the road.
    It is 10.15 and they have been partying with fireworks, food and drink and are sitting in a huge circle at this minute with three chimneys alight to protect them from the low low temperatures. (about 2 centigrade).
    I'd love to be out there too, but it would be insane as there is still something of a fever lingering.
    The kids are aware of being up later than usual and are trying to be invisible, and the adults seem to have settled down for the night.
    I know from experience that when I get up in the morning there will be no trace of the evening's festivities.
    It is great to live in a place like this, with people like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post, Ray! People are good and want to help if they just know what to do. I do hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Penny. I think one of the best things about doing a good turn to someone is that it has a two-way affect.
    The good-doer feels the benefit as well as the recipient.
    This little close (10 or so houses) has more than its share of nice, caring, loving people and I am lucky to live here.
    My virus is about 85% defeated, thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete