Pages

Sunday 28 June 2020

Nature Abhors a vacuum (and so do I)

Some people have 'found themselves' during this period of isolation, discovering new  found skills, doing all the jobs they have been putting off for months or years etc.

I have found just one - that is the art of doing absolutely nothing at all and honing it to unbelievable heights.

I did begin with the intention of cleaning my house from top to bottom as it has never been cleaned before, the more so because my cleaner has not been here since the 2nd March.

My unfamiliarity with my vacuum cleaner (in fact I'd say we were almost total strangers to each other, ) resulted in aching arms, hot sweaty face and a feeling of exhaustion like nothing previously experienced in my very long life.

Every day since 18th March when my prison sentence began has been filled with long periods of drifting followed by short (very short) periods of activity.

Not a total slob, I have showered, washed and cut my hair, washed clothes, changed bed linen etc, but together with the occasional foray into the garden to dead-head or do five minutes light pruning or weeding has been just about my limit.

Twice friends from church have brought their own garden chairs (I have none), and have sat in my front garden while I sat on a footstool in the doorway.  I made them tea and we had a lovely long chat and spirit-lifting hour or so, and I have of course kept in touch with my nearest and dearest by phone, but I have forgotton what most other people look like and only hope we will recognise each other when all this is over.

My next-door neighbours who are still doing all my shopping are now more familiar to me than any other person (and of course greatly valued by me).

Whether I will ever discover hidden reserves of energy or enthusiasm for cleaning my house is a bit of an unknown, but, they do say it's the thought that counts.

And I've thought about it a lot

4 comments:

  1. Ray your life and mine are more or less interchangeable. Oddly I haven’t seen my cleaner to actually clean for months too! I only go out if I really have to which isn’t often.. I’m sure it’s doing us good....But just know you are not on your own. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funnily enough Jean I've got so used to a solitary existance
    that if it were not for the need to eat, which will eventually force me to go out, I really don't mind much.
    I miss singing and one friend in particular but other than that if I had to, I could stay put forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m hearing lots of people saying similar things. Some don’t want lockdown to end and I understand that. We feel safe at home. What’s the saying..Hell is other people 🤷‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Specially if they are closer than 2 metres away!
    I really hope this doesn't make us even less friendly to strangers than we already are.

    ReplyDelete