Pages

Tuesday 20 November 2018

Another Sleepless Night

St Mary's as I hope not to see it this winter.

The temperatures are dropping, the wind is from the East Brrrr.

Tomorrow, or rather today, is not one of my St M's days and I am more than glad of it.

Going out in cold weather is not one of my hobbies so unless absolutely necessary I will stay warm and snug in my burrow.

It is building up towards the most hectic season in the church, and lovely though that is it is also a time when health and fitness need to be at their best.

We have already had our first carol performance at a local brewery which wanted us to sing two half-hour sessions on their Christmas Shop opening day.  It was a really warm and welcoming event and we felt appreciated both by the management and staff and the customers.  Quite unusual but rather nice.

It felt a bit odd to be commemorating the Armistice the following day, as though we had got our dates reversed, but the Civic Service was a good one and well attended.

Soon we shall have the Buck's Fire and Rescue Carol Service then all the usual Advent Services, so a lot of singing and more than ever a need to be feeling well.

For me, this time of year almost always produces some kind of virus to try to put a spanner in the works so sleepless nights are not a lot of help.

I was in bed four and a half hours ago, had a brief 15 minute nap and woke from a nasty nightmare, since then I have been reading for hours and am now (obviously) on the computer.

As it is now 4.20 am I probably won't sleep any more till tomorrow night, but at least I don't have to leave the house till Wednesday morning.

Insomnia is a recurring theme in my life but these days it is not combined with the need to get up and go to work next day.

There is brilliant moonlight outside and a ferocious East wind blowing the trees about and I'm gloing back to bed to read some more.

Good night/morning/day.


4 comments:

  1. DH and I weren’t sleeping well, last night I suggested we use hot water bottles, it has helped us both to have slept much better. Also, warm feet help, not glamorous but wearing socks in bed helps me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pixie. Nice to hear from you. I'm glad you find warmth a help. One of my problems is that I am mostly too warm. Since the onset of Parkinson's this has become much worse and I simply have to wait for my body to cool itself. A nuisance but just something more to get used to.
    As you will know insomnia is my default state. Luckily having retired 25 years ago I no longer have to leave home before dawn every day. Quite a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don’t know if there is a term for it but I am always ready to fall asleep. It can be very embarrassing at time.. especially in church meetings...what a shame we can’t pool our problems....

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was still at work I quite often fell asleep in meetings but still had problems at night. Maybe i should have done something which needed night shifts.
    There really is no accounting for human beings. We're a funny old lot aren't we Jean.

    ReplyDelete