Pages

Friday 25 February 2011

Mind That Gap

It is now only about 3 weeks before Spring.  Already I have snowdrops, crocus, hellebores pink hyacinths and four or five Winter/Spring-flowering shrubs in bloom.

Though it has now turned wet again, the day and a half of sunshine has wrought small miracles in my poor benighted garden, not least of which is the fact that I've actually done a little work.

One thing however, struck me with great force and that was the unshadedness (is there  such a word?) of the back  garden, the result of some fairly drastic tree removal by a neighbour last Autumn. (see Woodman Spare that Tree).

There are benefits of course, not least that the sun - when it deigns to show its face - has access to areas previously deeply shaded, but the minus points are the loss of some - one in particular - really lovely specimens of Acer.

The awkward balancing acts of squirrels and the larger birds on my smaller shrubs and lilac tree, while quite entertaining to watch, make me wonder where some of them will nest this year.

I know they weren't 'my' trees, but they were my landscape and framed my garden and therefor my life to a degree and I've lost a point of reference.  Odd isn't it, how the actions of others affect us?

No comments:

Post a Comment