Pages

Saturday 4 June 2011

Here be Dragons

This is a picture of a dragon I accidentally downloaded some time ago and since I appear unable to add any more pictures to my collection at present it will have to do.

Now this is not my (that is, a Welsh) dragon, it's just any old dragon.  Since I know their powers my fingers are crossed!

I love dragons - and I'm not just saying that because I'm scared - and no, there are no fairies at the bottom of my garden, the neighbours' cats ate them.

There is something magnificent about these lovely winged beasties who rampage through the books of our childhood and occasionally adulthood.

The only thing I ever learned about St George as a child was that he slew the dragon.  Don't know which dragon but I am hearby apologising on behalf of any English ancestors I might have inadvertantly had for this unkind and nefarious deed.

St David, however, patron saint of the Welsh has no such nasty history.  I have never heard that he went around patting dragons on the head, but neither did he 'slew' them!

Since despite the many and various weather forecasts have all so far failed to produce the promised rain I shall have to water my garden again this evening and I will look long and hard for evidence of passing dragons!

Oh heck, they're coming to lock me up again, see youuuuuuuu..........

4 comments:

  1. Great, another picture. There'll be no holding you soon, Ray :-)

    Nowadays when I think of dragons, I always think of those in the Terry Pratchett Discworld books, or Smaug and his hoard in The Hobbit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perpetua
    I do so wish I had mastered the technique properly. I've just spent an hour and a half trying to download a picture of a cat to head up my next post. No good, so will post without a picture (this time)
    I'm not a Terry Pratchett fan but love Smaug!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful dragon - I've developed a fondness for them (Is being fond of a dragon allowed I wonder? ) since seeing How to Train a Dragon! At the garden centre today there were a number of stone dragons. I am seriously thinking of rehoming one or two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Freda, of course fondness for dragons is perfectly OK, go for it. Give one or two a good home (think how much you could save on barbecues).

    ReplyDelete