Pages

Sunday 25 June 2017

Big Day at St Mary's

Yesterday we had the honour of hosting the ordination of no less than 12 Ordinands to the status of priest.

This was not only rather  unusual for the large numbers involved but also for the fact that it is usually the Cathedrals which house these services.

St Mary's is the county church of Buckinghamshire and is a very large building but the almost 500 people who were present yesterday packed it to the rafters.

We (the choir) arrived between about 10.15 and 10.30 am, to receive instructions on the 'choreography' of the event and to be ready outside the west door to lead in the procession.

The service began at 11,00 am and finished shortly after 1,00pm.  We then had a couple of hours to relax or feed ourselves before a wedding at 4,00pm.

By five pm I was back home with my feet up and drinking gallons of water.  My legs felt like lead and my feet were swollen and I was as hoarse as a crow, but otherwise it was a lovely day (if exhausting)

Needless to say this morning's service from 10 till 11,30 left everyone in need of a weekend to recover.

A strange but rather wonderful way to 'enjoy' a weekend.

7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to spend Midsummer!!! We have the ordinations only in the cathedrals as well ans since we have 13 dioces ...last ordination in our Cathedral of Lund, there was 7, 4 priests and 3 deacons ordained. I can easily understand you where whacked, but better to be exhausted for a reason like that than after cleaning windows... It's also so nice to hear that the choir is involved so much, in a wedding??? I am so pleased every time you tell us about St Mary's Ray, so happy that you are part of it because it means so much to you. I wish I could see it for myself, but your posts give me a clear vision of it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a wonderful way to spend Midsummer, even if I did have to leave my broomstick at home.
    If I could work out how to download my photos from my camera onto my blog I could give a much better idea of what St Mary's looks like.
    Sadly since my computer was updated to "Windows 10" I have never been able to work out how to do it, and of course I am not on face-book or twitter and have no smart-phone.
    I am sorry I am such a dinosaur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dinosaur? I am 54 and didn't get any banking-id online until this spring. Do you have a digital camera or an ordinary one? My daughters have taught me to transfer pictures via usb-cable to the computer, but mostly I do use my smartphone and just send them by mail. I am struggling with the fact that I can't add any videos or soundclips, it needs some kind of app ( frustrated growling) I don't have.. I would love to see more of St Mary's and hear the songs, but I guess I have to do some travelling!!!! In my latest post, I found a small film that our dioces made, they are making a small film with photos and all, of as many of our churches they can, and one of ours is there!!!
      I published it and Gwil told me I got a thumps-up on Youtube, whatever that means. Take a look, Ray, and don't be sad, dinosaurs got themselves extinct, we won't!!!

      Delete
    2. My camera is digital but is quite old now (it belonged to my husband) and I used to be able to download from it.
      For some reason i can no longer do this but will keep trying.
      Some new photos would be good instead of having to re-use my old ones all the time.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a glorious day! I love ordination services and sometimes weddings, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was quite something Penny, though better in retrospect than at the rather long time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ray, I am struck by how well you are doing at making a good job of living life day by day. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete