Pages

Tuesday 22 May 2018

Neither "Waving nor Drowning"


The past weeks have not been a total joy, however, I felt it was time to stick my head over the parapet again, just to prove I could.

The 'eye' problem is now resolved, three pairs of spec's in various places so I am never without their essential company.

A more pressing and longer-lived problem is a horrible rash on my arms and legs and various other parts of the body, huge and blotchy as well as a scattering of smaller spots.

They are itchy (though not unbearably so) and very very ugly.

They first appeared late last year, eased off a little in December and January and increased since then with no apparent cause.

Blood tests have proved unproductive and I am currently awaiting an appointment with the Dermatology dept of the localhospital.  Not holding my breath since waiting lists are long.

It means that despite several burst of very warm weather i have to remain 'covered up' or people will be expecting me to ring a bell crying "Unclean", or something similar.

That's my excuse for failing to appear in print  (self-absorbed or what?'.

Last week we had the annual quiz night with fish and chip supper, on Saturday 19th.  This unfortunately clashed with the 'close' annual BBQ.

Since i had committed myself to the quiz night some months ago there was no decision to be made, however, I miss having the chance to chat with all my neighbours.

The next day we had our usual Eucharist service - a very long one - an hour and 40 minutes, which left many of us wishing we could just go home and lie down.  This was not possible as there was an RAF Freedom of Aylesbury parade at which we sang Jerusalem.

This involved parading over the cobbles down into the Market Square to stand in blazing hot sun for over half an hour fully robed and al.ready with legs aching from the morning service.

It is an honour to take part in these civic services but I do wish it didn't always occur on the days when our long-winded incumbent decides to add endlessly to the morning service.  He has no concept of time whatever and nothing short of a fire alarm will stop him once embarked.

Right, that's the moaning out of the way, and something good to look forward to is this coming Sunday (Trinity) when we will be singing the wonderful "Hymn to the Trinity" by Tchaikowsky.

The clip at the head of this post is one of the many on you tube.

For me the alto part (really very low) is the most beautiful thing I have ever sung since joining St Mary's choir.

Sometimes there are compensations for the not so good days, this should be one.

6 comments:

  1. Glad to know you can see, but sorry you are seeing spots. I hope you can get that sorted out soon! Enjoy singing on Sunday. I am preaching, and I am hoping the Spirit strikes me soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Penny, nice to hear from you again. I am sure you will receive all the inspiration you need and will give your usual uplifting and eloquent sermon.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Tchaikovsky was a frequently used piece when I was a chorister and I added it to music lists whenI was an organ scholar. This recording is very slow (by my standards) and F major (which is the key in which it usually appears) is not a great key in which to sing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love it Colin and had never sung it before. The alto part is very low and i had the very rare chance to sing a bottom G.
    It is not a part of our regular repertoire but it would make me very happy if it became so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Ray, sometimes for me, too, life just seems overwhelming. It is then that good music or a good book or simply the sight of the wind rippling the leaves on the tree in the back yard will bring comfort and center my soul. I hope this happened for you as you listened to the marvelous song on Trinity Sunday. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Singing the "Hymn to the Trinity" was a wonderful experience and I do find it an uplifting feeling as indeed all good music is, but my soul is not as easily soothed as yours appears to be Dee.
    Long years experience has taught me however, to value the little bright spots when they appear even if gloom descends pretty quickly again.

    ReplyDelete