Pages

Thursday 5 April 2018

To Blog or Not to Blog?

It has been a while since I felt any inspiration to put any of my scrambled thoughts into print, but felt that perhaps I owed some sort of explanation to any readers i may have left.

Life has been more than a little trying in the past few months and I didn't want to pour out my moans and groans into the daily soup of misery most people have suffered this past Winter.

My Parkinson's has caused a loss of energy and the accompanying low spirits which would have made my writing a 'turnoff' for most people.

In addition I have had my second cateract operation and have not been very happy about the result.

My left eye (operated on last August) is my 'lomg-sighted eye and I have always used it to full advantage when out and about. 

The right eye is my short-sighted eye and i have always used it for any sort of close work and much more importantly, for reading. 

Imagine my shock after removing the dressing the day after the op on my right eye to find myself unable to read.

Neither library books, TV programmes, music (words and notes) nor any of the day to day purposes for which I have always used this valuable asset are now possible.

When I  had  my telephone post-op check-up I poured out my unhappiness at this turn of events adding that I had believed that the operation merely removed the cateract and replaced the biological lens with a clear glass one.  (That may sound niaive but was what I thought).

This it was explained to me was not the case as they apparently assess what they perceive to be the right level of magnification (or whatever) and use the appropriate lens.  Making the patient either able see well at close quarters or at a distance.

They had chosen to make my eye in essence, more like the left eye, and while the clarity of vision at a few feet is excellent I will now need to have glasses in order to read etc.

The consensus seemed  to be that the fault was mine rather than theirs for not making plain to them that I had always been able to read without glasses and would prefer to keep that faculty.

Since i had no idea what lay in store I cannot agree with that opinion but have to accept that from now on I will never again be able to simply 'look and see'.

For anyone who has always worn spec's the operation must be hugely valuable, for me it has cost me one of my senses.

It will be a few weeks before I can have spectacles made but meanwhile I am in limbo using a pair of spec's prescribed about 10 years ago for reading tiny print and never previously used.  Without them I would be unable to use the computer as well as all the aforementioned things.

Forgive me please for this long miserable diatribe, I'm sure this feeling won't last much longer and I'll try to be more cheerful next time.

Belated Easter Blessings to one and all.

Oh and the photo above is how I looked at 18 long before sight or anything else much, was a problem.

15 comments:

  1. Dear Ray, I've worn glasses since I was 15, but the cataract operations I had on both eyes made reading even more difficult for me as it did for you. The Glaucoma stepped in and now all I can read--with glasses--are ebooks because I can enlarge the type size.

    I know what a shock this must have been and I so hope your new reading glasses will feel comfortable on your nose/face and give you the joy of reading again. Peace.

    By the way, the birds are now pecking at the ground and enjoying whatever they find there that's not in the feeder! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry your experience was such a poor one Dee. You obviously have much more serious problems than I do.
      It is just a question of accepting what is and learning to live with it in my case, and this I will do - soon.
      It's good to hear that you are taking good care of your birds. I'm sure they (and you) will benefit from it.
      Blessings.

      Delete
  2. I read your blog as it comes into my feed; sorry not to have posted many comments. I didn't think your post was miserable; you were just expressing yourself. Medics can be a bit mean at times. I had a CT scan and apparently it was my fault I was dehydrated so they had trouble finding a vein into which to put the contrast medium - they had said don't drink for an hour beforehand!

    I have not blogged for some time but my current situation is evident for any visitors. Not sure if I will add more or even leave it there. Possibly TMI (Too Much Information) for some.

    Occasionally one needs to reach out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the trouble to comment Colin especially as your current situation is pretty grim.
      I do hope all will go well with your treatment and you can have a rest from your health problems.
      I have read your last post and can only wish you well.
      As you so rightly say, sometimes we need to reach out.
      Every blessing.

      Delete
  3. Ah Ray, I sympathize with the difficulties you have encountered. I too am concerned when I write of my problems, but my daughter said it was a good way to get my thoughts out of my mind. It took a year to get both my eyes done, because I had problems with healing, but now I only wear off the shelf reading glasses. I had prescription glasses before. Life is always throwing curves our way but we have to muddle on. Blessings to you. May everything work out well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bonnie, for the good wishes and for the information about off the shelf glasses, something i had never thought of.
    I'm sure all will be well eventually. The post was a 'knee-jerk' reaction and not the result of serious consideration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry you have had these difficulties and I hope your glasses have now arrived and are making life more bearable. It is hard to know whether to blog when we feel miserable as it can sometimes make us feel worse which is what I found but I am sure we would all miss the chance to read your blog. Kind regards. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Sue. I have not yet had my optician's follow-up appointment (27th April), and will thn have to wait for the spec's to be delivered, but i am just about managing with a very old pair given me for tiny print many years ago and never really used until now.
    It will be a relief to be able to see properly and will no doubt give me the necessary kick in the right place to get my spirits back where they belong.
    Normal (for me) service will then resume. I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to come late to this Ray...but since I got home some problems have taken up far too much of my time...I sympathise I really do but having to wear reading glasses has been necessary for me for at least twenty years...you get used to it...I compensate for feeling inadequate by having several pairs in very bright colours and make them a talking point for any simarly affected people around me. The ones I’m wearing are bright pink...they add to the jollity of life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Jean. I know a lot of people have worn glasses all their lives and many more, for half their lives but that is not really what my complaint is about.
    I know at some time in the future I would probably have had to wear glasses and i would of course come to terms with that, but it was going from being able to read anything and everything without any effort to being unable to read at all in the space of the half hour the op took which really shook me.
    At present I am awaiting an appt with my optician to get my first ever pair of prescribed spec's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I can see how shocking that would be. I hope your new specs arrive soon.

      Delete
  9. As I recall it, dear Ray, this is what you still look like!!
    Im very sorry for not having been here and taken part of your struggles!!! I had only a little idea about this and its rather painful to learn what youre going through. Usually you manage to get by using your magnificent sense of humour and sarcastic punchlines, but there are limits to how soothing that can be.
    I dare not ask, but has this been an obstacle also when it comes to choire?
    By the time you read this, I suppose you have the specs and a clearer view of the world. At least I hope so!!!! I am in line for that cataract surgery, maybe I will hold it for a while, I'm in no hurry.
    I will try to keep in touch, you are for sure one of those I have missed badly during this hiatus of mine. I launched a small update, we'll see about the rest.
    God bless, you will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello again Solveig, nice to hear from you.
    I have collected my spectacles today (3 pairs), and life should be a lot less stressful from now on.
    Unfortunately i have other problems too, but enough about that for now.
    I do hope ;life is a littles easier for you now and as for the cataract operation, I reccommend it but only if you have all the facts clearly laid out before hand.
    Had I known there was a choice of lens I would have made a decision, but I was not offered that option and will just have to opt for what I have.
    I really do believe half the world's problems come from too little information being made available.
    Blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its nice to be back actually! And I bet you look really classy in those spectacles!
    Life is a trifle better, you have to be grateful for every new thing that turns out well. Our daughter is back in schooling again, but in another way. She is doing a bit better, the teacher says she is doing well, but its really step by step, one day at the time!
    Right now she goes to a building far from her school, and there is one teacher for her and one more girl. The schoolsystem is far from perfect, but we were lucky to finally meet the right person that could get things set. If we can get a clear for next semester, she can soon be applying for High School, there is one especially for Aspergers within reach.
    The cataract is doing fine right now, clouding my view but not so bad. Its worse with my left hip......I dont want to rename my blog,
    The bad HIPS perspective!
    Blessings to you too, Ray!!!

    ReplyDelete