Pages

Monday 29 August 2022

Still Here


As usual sleepless and bored I find a use for what is left of my brain by semaphoring anyone else who may be sharing the night hours with me.

It strikes me as odd that there is no pattern to insomnia (mine anyway), and no apparent cause.

Neither being overly busy, or particularly idle the previous day seems to have a bearing on spending the night wide-eyed or blissfully unconscious. 

Too old to care much about my baggy-eyed appearance after a sleepless night I am still aware that my brain functions on a single cylinder and at about half its normal speed the following day, which is not a desirable state for someone who still likes to appear to be in possession of some of their faculties.

Watching night-time TV is not for the faint hearted, and is either over stimulating, or excrutiatingly dull .

I have abandoned my book (Richard Osman's excellent "The man who died twice"), because I want to make it last rather than read it all in one go.

Talking to myself , while not unusual, is unrewarding  at this timeof night/morning so silence reigns.

I am not, after all these years, seeking a non-existent cure for sleeplessness, just an idea of some other way of filling the long boring silent hours when all good folk should be abed.

2 comments:

  1. I too have sleepless nights as you know.
    I recently cut my many Lavender plants on my plot.This dry sunny weather has given me a bumper crop. We have such a tiny cottage that I have it drying on newspaper throughout the upstairs rooms including my bedroom .I have slept so well the last few weeks ,and without my usual trip to bathroom at 4 .30,that I conclude it must be the herb.Have you tried it?
    Even few drops of the Essential Oil on a rolled up tea towel under your pillow might be worth a try .Holland and Barrett sell it.
    The Lavender will soon be dry,so I shall keep some in a bowl by my bed and crush some to release the fragrance as I turn off the light.
    Will think of you in the watches of the night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Margaret
      I haven't tried lavender I must admit, but am willing to give it a go.
      I grow lavender too. but never harvest it so will see if i can rescue any from my parched garden.
      Not too sure whether it is a good idea to lose the many trips to the bathroom which for me are the norm, but will see.
      Thanks for the thought.

      Delete