Pages

Monday 17 April 2017

Joy in small things

Today was total relaxation day after the 4-day marathon that was Easter.

The singing was hard work but mostly good and occasionally excellent so worth all the effort.

More than 10 hours altogether it takes its toll vocally and with accompanying stiff joint from too much standing followed by sitting in uncushioned wooden choir stalls.

All the services were good in different ways and on Saturday the huge baptism and confirmation one with our Bishop who not only sings very well but also includes some very funny anecdotes in his homilies and sermons, helps to take the edge off the extreme length of this particular evening.

We had better-than-usual congregations for all four services which is quite heartening and makes it feel worth while.

Today I pottered.  A bit of this and a bit of that, nothing  strenuous and with time to observe the birds in this case starlings having a communal bath and emptying the bird-bath about a half dozen times.

Each time I refilled it and the last time I did so there was not a bird in sight only a very small squirrel sitting holding on to the edge of the bath with its little hands and drinking as though water were going out of fashion

Obviously I know they must drink but have never seen one doing so before.

My camera was, of course, upstairs and I was down.

The picture above is unrelated but I liked it.

Easter.  Done and dusted.  Back to (normal) tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Time to enjoy a well deserved rest:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did, but now it's over and it's back to the daily 'grind' again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely story, see what you can actually discover when Easterlight and tunes lingers on in your heart!!! A drinking Squirrel!!!?? The starlings are chattering on about everything and nothing in our garden, quite nice sound!! Did you listen to the hymn I had on my latest post?? Did you like it?
    Blessings to you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are referring to the Elgar Ave Verum, yes, I quite like it but sang it again this Easter and am beginning to wish we could do some of the others more often.
      I prefer the Sans Saens (can't spell it) and there are others too.
      I'm still replacing the water in the birdbath several times a day. We have had no rain for so long the birds seem to need to bath more than to drink.
      No doubt when it finally begins to rain it won't be able to stop.
      Blessings to you also.

      Delete