Pages

Saturday 11 February 2017

Who Stole the rest of the octave?

This is just about how much voice I have.

Back at work at St M's for about 10 days, but not yet back for any of the services, I feel as though I'm in limbo.

Every day I try to sing just one line of music and every day I manage five notes at best,

A hoarse squeak is the nearest I can get to singing and I'm beginning to get fed up.

From my last experience of a really bad chest infection I know better than to try to sing properly when the equipment has failed..

Last time was when I was in my early fifties and singing with the London Philharmonic Chorus.  A bout of bronchitis stopped me from singing for 24 years.

These days the best i can aspire to is the choir of St. Mary's, and is a very average sort of alto with a limited range, but, not to be able to sing at all is horrible.

There is still a bit of a cough and energy levels are low but by now I had expected to be able to make at least some sort of recognizable sound.

Perhaps it's time to try the WD40.

6 comments:

  1. Try not to breath the WD40 in Ray...it could make you voice even more interesting....
    Seriously I do sympathise...I too have only a fraction of the voice I used to have. One thing does amaze me though....in church singing solo bits of services it returns, strong as ever only to promptly disappear when I get home....
    It'll come back, especially if you are singing to the greater glory of God!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I was as sure as you Jean. We'll see.

      Delete
  2. My mum has said this as she has got older, she really misses being able to sing heartily:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've pretty much accepted the decrease in both quality and power and even the total change of pitch, but, this time I haven't got 24 years to wait until I can sing again.

      Delete
  3. What is WD40????? I have been a bit worried here, no word from you. I am so sorry that your voice is still failing you. I can't even begin to understand what it is like. I can agree with Jean, some parts sounds good even if nothing else does. Praising the Lord comes from within, so save your voice until you can sing without causing damage. Keep praising the Lord inside while listening to your friends in the choir. I'll pray for a swift recovery. Try ginger, honey and lemon. Keep warm. Don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WD40 Solveig is, yes you've guessed, a joke. It is an all purpose oil-based spray used since world war 11 to maintain creaking hinges, rusty locks and almost everything else.
    I am staying away from church services at present, since a service without singing is not a service I want to attend.
    If it is going to recover then I just have to wait. If not. Then who knows.

    ReplyDelete