Pages

Tuesday 3 January 2017

Starting my new working year with my usual elegance and grace

This morning was my first morning back after the Christmas break, so I got up at my usual time of 6.10 am (ish).

Following normal procedure I went downstairs in my nightie dressing gown and slippers, set out the breakfast stuff, put the water heater and the kettle on and opened the back door.

An icy blast greeted me (temperature -5 degrees) and it was pitch black.

Stepping out onto the outside doormat my foot slid on ice and I fell on my back with my knees twisted and one foot under me.

My naked legs were out in the icy cold my upper body on the kitchen floor, such an elegant pose.

I yelled blue murder - fortunately far too early for anyone else to be up and knew that I had hurt my right foot but also that it was not broken.  (I have injured myself often enough to know when something is broken) and tried to get up.

This at my age is no longer a simple matter.  Rolling over onto my knees I clung to the nearest bit of 'white goods', the tumble-dryer, and hauled myself upright.

Shaking and uttering gentile expressions like "Oh my, what a silly thing to do" or something similar I went back inside made my tea and then stepped outside again, headed for the shed and put out bird-seed etc.

Realising that I was going to have a very big bruise and a lump on my ankle I then had a long hot shower.

Before leaving for St Mary's (I was on SPACE duty ) I realised that sometimes one actually needs to take a look around before taking an action, or even try to notice the thick frost on the ground, or even to remember that yes I was once 18 but that was 63 years ago.

January is clearly off to its usual 'flying' start.

Does anyone know the phone number of a good patient angel, or even a body guard?

11 comments:

  1. Oh Ray.....I'm glad your sense of humour survived....Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's about the only part of me that hasn't been damaged (so far), Happy New Year to you too Jean.

      Delete
  2. Oh, no! You're gonna be sore! I hope you can stay off that foot as much as possible so you can heal. Putting you on my prayer list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the prayers Penny, but actually I find exercising the foot and ankle is the best way to stop it stiffening up.
      Will try to put brain in gear before next lunge into the frozen wastes of Aylesbury.

      Delete
  3. I agree Jean, she has still got that very important gift. We are in luck. But Ray, please please take care , guardian angels are scarce and who want's Kevin Costner sitting on the doorstep every morning? January will soon pass, come spring and bright mornings!! Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think if Kevin Costner had been sitting on my doorstep I would probably have fallen over him.
    Thanks for the blessings, always welcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would gladly be a (very small, fear not..) spider in the corner to see that scene!! By the way, we're planning to go back to London this summer and I was just curious: Which St Mary is it, up at Marylebone or Putney? I put my bets on Putney.

      Delete
    2. *I'm afraid you would lose your bet Solveig. My church is St Mary the Virgin Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire. Nowhere near London Sorry.

      Delete
    3. Oh, I was about to say something bad here, Buckinghamshire? well, in that case you don't have to fear any surprise visits from me. I am a bit curious about church of England, you see. I have some odds and ends from Freda, Perpetua and Ricky and all the music and serene joy from you!!!

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear about your fall. I am really impressed there were not some bad words. Take it steady, I know it is going to get very cold again towards the end of this week. But perhaps it is only Scotland. Happy New Year from Freda at Dalamory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freda have you never heard of irony? Luckily I can't recall what I actually said.
      Yes we have cold forecast for later in the week. Let's both take care.
      Happy and healthy New Year to you too

      Delete