Pages

Monday 17 June 2013

Brief bird-call to all Opera lovers

This week (from tomorrow evening), sees the return of my greatest favourite TV programme of all time.

It takes place for one week only every two years.

For opera and leider aficianados only, it is a once in a lifetime opportunity to hear and see some of the very greatest voices in the world.

It has been running for 30 years and I have never missed a year.

It is of course, Cardiff Singer of the World. On BBC4 this week from 7.30 on.

If you are not an opera or leider fan this is not for you, but if you  are, please do not miss it.
I seldom wax enthusiastic about anything these days.  This magnificent programme is the exception.

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad to know there's something that you're excited about, Ray. That's good! I hope you will enjoy the show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Opera, particularly at this level, is the one thing guaranteed to get my attention at almost all times.
      I find watching the competitors and re-acquainting myself with the arias is almost the same as singing.
      Endorphines or something.

      Delete
  2. It's already in the planner, Ray. :-) A fantastic competition, which I've been following for decades like you, though I'm sorry the coverage isn't as full as it used to be. I still remember a youthful Bryn Terfel winning the Lieder competition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is wonderful isn't it Perpetua. My two top favourites from all the years were the amazing Inger Dam Jensen and Dimitri ? the Russian base baritone.
      I also remember though not his name, a lovely New Zealand baritone winning the lieder prize.

      Delete
    2. Wikipedia informs me that it's Dmitri Hvorostovsky and has reminded me that he beat Bryn Terfel in the opera final back in 1989. Those were the days of massive coverage.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmitri_Hvorostovsky

      I didn't see it the year Inger Dam Jensen won (1993) as I was on holiday with DD after her university finals.

      Delete
    3. She gave a most spectacular performance of some Richard Strauss, musical fireworks I've never heard bettered.

      When we were on holiday one year at the same time as the event, we asked our next-door neighbour to come in and change the video tape after the third day, knowing it would run out.
      When we watched it on our return, the only bit missing was the final announcement of the winner!

      Delete
  3. I've never ever watched it or even been aware of its existence. But this year....thank you for flagging it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watch,listen and enjoy Jean.
      The standard is so high, it really is unique.

      Delete
  4. Am doing so thankyou Theanne.

    ReplyDelete